NS2 Chef Automation Engineer
Location: Herndon, VA, US
Work Area: Software – Design and Development
Expected Travel: 0% - 10%
Career Status: Professional
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
SAP is the global market leader for business software and related services, and SAP National Security Services Inc.® (SAP NS2®) is an independent U.S. subsidiary, offering SAP solutions with specialized levels of security and support to meet the requirements of U.S. national security and critical infrastructure customers.
As a key member of the deployment / operations team, the Chef Automation Engineer possesses a love of automation and a strong desire to learn new systems and make them more efficient through automation tools and scripting. This role also involves the standardization and benchmarking of a highly effective and efficient software engineering deployment to support the company’s Agile process and team environment.
EXPECTATIONS AND TASKS
- Leads the design, implementation and evolution to the next generation production operations automation strategy in support of the SaaS platform;
- Improves automated solutions that adhere to SAP’s evolving business processes and architecting designs that promote reliable, controlled, scalability in our rapidly expanding data center deployments;
- Works with a team to develop automation solutions that will seamlessly work in data centers in the private cloud, data centers in the public cloud, and data centers that span across both; and
- Works directly with agile Application Development to provide daily support aligned with a model of Continuous Delivery.
- 5+ years of build/release and configuration management.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Possesses a Bachelor of Science Degree from an accredited college or university with a concentration in Computer Science or relevant professional experience;
- Expertise with Chef Cookbooks and dynamically managing configurations across various environments;
- Experience in developing automation strategies & test plans;
- Experience in Linux administration and command-line / shell scripting (Perl, Bash or Python);
- Proficient with build automation, orchestration and dependency management tools such as Maven, Ant etc.;
- Experience using Jenkins;
- Experience with clustering / load balanced solutions;
- Proficient with source code management systems (Git);
- Experience in Jira Change Management tool or equivalent;
- Able to occasionally work off-hours to support production releases;
- Industry background in SaaS, online services, payments, cloud environment preferred;
- Possesses working knowledge of Ruby, particularly Ruby for Chef;
- Excellent written and verbal skills;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to multitask, set priorities and meet deadlines in a changing environment; and
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
Additional skills that are desired include:
- Experience and familiarity with Chef Delivery and Chef Dashboard;
- Proficiency in one or more of the following languages, with the ability to produce code samples, is preferred: C/PHP/Python/Java/Bash/Perl/PHP”;
- Understanding of basic monitoring systems
- Preferred experience and working knowledge of Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery pipelines within one or more of the following: Chef Delivery/Jenkins/Bamboo/TravisCI;
- Technical degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related field preferred;
- AWS and Git experience are a plus;
- Experience managing Chef Server across multiple environments that may or may not be independent;
- Experience with Java/JEE applications in highly-available online services environment;
- Working knowledge of relational database management system (Oracle 11g); and
- Experience supporting/configuring web-based application server frameworks such as Tomcat.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- All internals must have manager’s approval to transfer.